Entrance Requirements and Placement Process
Acceptance to the college does not guarantee placement in the program.
The deadline for application is June 1.
All students must first apply for admissions to CSI and be accepted to the college.
In order to apply for the dental assisting program, the following items need to be on file in the Program Director's office. Items may be sent to Tonja Bowcut, College of Southern Idaho, Health Sciences & Human Services Department; P. O. Box 1238, Twin Falls, Idaho 83303-1238 OR they may be taken directly to her office, Room 125 in the HSHS Building.
Program Application Requirements
- Program application
- Unofficial high school transcripts or GED/HSE and all unofficial college transcripts. (Official transcripts must be on file with the Office of the Registrar.)
- COMPASS test scores - scores determine placement in math, spelling, reading and vocabulary (can be taken in the Academic Development Center in Meyerhoeffer Building). Students must place at the English 101 and general education math level (such as Math 123) to be admitted to the dental assistant program. Students who have taken and passed English 101 and Math 123 (or other general education math course) do not need to submit COMPASS scores.
- Cover letter
- Three professional forms of recommendation (must be sent directly to the program director).
- Completion of Health Occupations, ALLH 202, or MyPlan.com*
Students are selected on a point system. In the event that there are more applicants than seats available, the applicants having the highest points will be admitted.
into the program, students will receive forms and will need to complete the following:
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- Tuberculin screening
- Evidence of good health statement from physical or nurse practitioner
- Updated tetanus booster
- Current criminal background check
- Drug screening dated within 6 months of entering program
- CPR certified (Healthcare Provider Certification preferred)
- Health insurance
It is strongly recommended the 9 credits of general education be completed prior to program admission.
31-9091.00 - Dental Assistants
General qualities a dental assistant must possess to be successful.
*Please contact Tonja Bowcut
for more information.