CSI SFA Admission Requirements
Admission will be made for August or January start times.
Eligibility requirements include:
- You must be a CST (Certified Surgical Technologist) or NCCT (TS-C) or be eligible to obtain this certification prior to clinical internship.
- This is a requirement for all applicants, including licensed nurses, and physician's assistants!
- You must have graduated from a CAAHEP accredited program
- You must make application to the program and be accepted to the program
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Even with national (CST) certification you may be required to repeat CSI ST courses from our program to be eligible for our SFA program. Much of the similar content has been integrated into our ST program. To have this evaluated you should contact the Program Director and submit your transcripts with a description of each course.
Surgical first assistants must:
- Be able to bend, walk, stand for long periods of time,
- Be able to lift carry, push, and handle equipment, supplies or patients exceeding 25 pounds.
- Be able to work in environmental temperatures from 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit range.
- Be aware that exposure to latex gloves may cause the development of allergic reactions
- Be aware that their skin should be clear and free of conditions which would impair the integrity of the skin.
- HEARING: must demonstrate ability to functionally perceive the nature of sounds and spoken work. May use adaptive techniques or devices.
- SPEECH: must demonstrate the ability to functionally express self orally and or in writing.
- VISION: must be able to demonstrate the functional ability to obtain impressions of shape, size, and motion by passing routine vision screening and to distinguish red and green colors.
Mental and emotional requirements
Surgical first assistants must be able to:
- Manage stress appropriately
- Make decisions under pressure
- Prioritize tasks
- Manage anger/fear/hostility/violence of others appropriately
- Work alone or as a team member
If you are advancing your career from a certificate to an AAS degree you will have separate and specific admission criteria. Please look under the tab called "Advancing My Certificate to AAS".